Sunday, July 22, 2012

Scrambled Eggs- Chinese verses French


Scrambled eggs are simple; pretty much everyone has their own way of making them.  Generally speaking eggs are considered a breakfast dish in the United States.  And while I’ve yet to travel to China, I know their brekky (breakfast) is different than European or American breakfast.  I have chosen two very different methods of scrambling eggs. One I use for adding to Asian cooking and the other when I want to eat scrambled eggs.

Chinese method
This is how I learn to cook eggs in this way from my Chinese friends. I use this method when I am going to add them to fried rice. To cook eggs in this way high heat it used. In a frying pan heat a tablespoon or  two  of vegetable oil.  Carefully crack the eggs directly into the heated oil, drizzle a bit of soy sauce over it and with chopsticks(or tongs as I did here) scramble them. Watch your heat closely, be sure not to burn the eggs, pick the pan up off the heat if needed. Cook the eggs until they are fully cooked, dry looking even and break them into very, very small pieces.


French method
In a medium saucepan heat over medium heat melt a tablespoon or two of butter. Separate the yolks from the whites. When the butter has melted add the whites to the pan and with a wooden or silicone utensil stir the whites and cook until they are flecked evenly with small bits of white, stirring continually. Again, watch the heat.  Next add the yolks. And keep stirring, this is a stirring motion you are aiming for. Keep cooking until the color is even and the mixture has thickened. Pull them off the heat before you think they are really done, residual heat from the pan will finish them. The goal is to end up with a creamy egg. Notice that these are not seasoned before cooking. in this method eggs are seasoned afterwards. 










No comments:

Post a Comment