Thursday, July 19, 2012

Lemon Loaf with zucchini and blue berries.


Lemon loaf with zucchini and blue berries
I based this recipe from Lemon –Zucchini Loaf with Lemon Glaze from http://nancycreative.com/
Lemon is one of my favorite flavors. I add it to all sorts of things savory and sweet. I also really enjoy adding vegetables to pretty much everything I can manage. So, a recipe that combines those two is a must try.
I am wholly incapable of leaving well enough alone and simply following a recipe the way it is written. I had considered adding mint because that would be spectacular but I didn’t have any. I’ll have to add that next time I make it. I try to limit the number of things I change about a recipe the first time I make it to about 2.  To this recipe I added blueberries, pistachios and a little extra zucchini. The blueberries add a beautiful color and the pistachios add a nice texture on top. This dense, tender quick bread has a nice balance of flavors. The zucchini can still be tasted along with the lemon and blueberry.
Yields one loaf.
§  2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
§  2 teaspoons baking powder
§  1/2 teaspoon salt
§  2 eggs
§  1/2 cup canola oil
§  2/3 cup sugar
§  1/2 cup buttermilk
§  Juice of 1 lemon (or 2 Tablespoons lemon juice)
§  Zest of 1 lemon
§  1 ½ cups grated zucchini
§  1 cup blueberries dusted tossed with 1 tablespoon of flour
§  ½ cup toasted chopped toasted pistachios.
Preheat oven to 35o degrees. Grease and flour pan.
In large bowl, sift the dry ingredients. Set aside.
In medium bowl, beat 2 eggs well, then add canola oil and sugar, and blend well. Then add the buttermilk, lemon juice, and lemon zest and blend everything well. Fold in zucchini and stir until evenly distributed in mixture. Combine the wet to dry and fold in the zucchini.
Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan disperse the flour-coated berries and top with the remaining batter, smooth and top with the pistachios. Then, bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (if your oven tends to run hot, check the loaf after 40 minutes). Cool in pan 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack and cool completely. While loaf is cooling, you can make the glaze.
LEMON GLAZE
§  1 cup powdered sugar
§  Juice of 1 lemon (or 2 Tablespoons lemon juice)



In small bowl, mix powdered sugar and lemon juice until well blended. Drizzle over loaf. 

1 comment:

  1. This recipe sounds so good. I recently have been a staying home mom and have had to cook more than I have ever in my life. I am always looking for new and healthy recipes. My husband loves anything that involves bread, and I know he would love this,especially with the blueberries. Those pictures you took made me just want to eat it!

    ReplyDelete