Saturday, July 21, 2012

Fried Rice


Fried rice is a staple of my diet. I make it in a variety of ways and eat it almost every week. More often than not, I will make a big batch and eat from that for several days. And while I know some of you will read this and think “There is not frying involved, how is this fried rice?” I say to you: I know it involves no actual frying but, this is how I make it and it’s tasty. Also, I have fed this to my friends who are from china and they liked it (or were being really polite . . .) It is a simple recipe and can be fitted to personal tastes and dietary needs.

o   4 2/3 cups liquid- I use chicken stock and water
o   2 Cups of brown rice
o   Sliced Scallions -to taste- I use an entire bundle.
o   1 Can sliced water chestnuts- cut into bite sizes bits
o   1 Cup frozen peas
o   Fanistil ham- bite size pieces. I use a few slices of the pre-sliced stuff from the deli counter.
o   2 Eggs scrambled
o   Soy sauce (I use WAY more than is “healthy”)

 This is a really simple dish to make. Start by putting the rice on to boil. In a large pan bring your liquid of choice to a boil, then add the rice reduce heat so it simmers, and slap a lid on it and leave it alone. Check it after about 30 minutes. To check it, just remove the lid and look/ listen for remaining liquid by tilting the pan to the side. Don’t stir it. Ever. Seriously, I know you are questioning me again but just go with me in this one. Keep it free of all utensils until all the liquid is absorbed. Once it is done pull it off the heat and you may fluff with a fork to your hearts content. 

While the rice is cooking is a good time to prep everything else. Slice the scallion’s, water chestnuts and ham. Scramble the eggs with a drizzle of soy sauce and break it up into tiny bits. 

Now, add pretty much what ever want (ß main reason I love fried rice)

 I add first the scallions, a swig of soy sauce and the peas. Put the lid back on so that the rice absorbs those two flavors and the peas thaw. Then I add everything else and mix it all together.

Then, I eat it, loving every bite. 


No comments:

Post a Comment